Cortona Land of Syrah
In the territory of Cortona viticulture is widespread as in the rest of Tuscany, it is located close to popular areas such as Chianti, Montalcino and Montepulciano. Syrah is considered authentically local, perhaps a wine heritage, the soils of the Val di Chiana are expanses of clay, with the presence of silt and little sand, nourished by the sun throughout the year and minimal rainfall in spring and summer. Characteristics that makes the Cortona’s terroir a small Côtes du Rhône in the South-East of Tuscany. Here is where the Syrah has always felt at home a natural union who awarded Cortona from the harvest of 1999, with the Denominazione di Origine Controllata. Syrah from Cortona is indeed unanimously considered the best of Italy.
Our wine tour will lead you with an expert Sommelier around the wineries of Cortona, educating you about the important production of the famous Syrah wine and visit beautiful cellars.
Tenimenti Luigi D'Alessandro
Tenimenti d’Alessandro is an historic winery in the Val di Chiana. After years of research, we are realizing Syrah true vocation for Cortona terroir that perfectly express the optimal relationship between the soil and the vine. Here is where the Syrah has always felt at home. A natural union who awarded Cortona from the harvest of 1999, with the Denominazione di Origine Controllata Doc. Characteristics that makes the Cortona’s terroir a small Côtes du Rhône in the South-East of Tuscany. The Tenimenti D'Alessandro wine cellar's production of wines are:
- Il Bosco Doc - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: in separate batches, barriques 12 months and in barrels 24 months;
- Vecchievigne Doc - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: barriques and casks 22 months steel 6 months;
- Pepe Rosa Igt Rosato - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: in steel tanks for 5 months;r
- Borgo Syrah Doc - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: concrete vat and used barrels 12 months bottled 8 months;
- Fontarca Igt Viognier - Grape variety: Viognier, Aging: oak18 months and chestnut barrels;
- Migliara Doc - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: barriques 12 months and in barrels 24 months.
Villa Loggio is located in the southern part of Cortona, poised on a range of undulating hills that rise above the Chiana Valley. The gorgeous surrounding o ers to all lovers of Tuscany a stunning view: on the one hand Montepulciano towers in the horizon on the other hand rises majes- tically ancient, etruscan Cortona with its numerous churches and atmospheric squares on the mountain. The winery’s situation forms the ideal oenological environment for the wines: the elds bask in sunshine from early morning until late evening and a soothing breeze caresses the vineyards. Tuscany is recognized as a region optimally suited to growing grapes. e Syrah of Cortona has gained an international reputation. e loamy sand is especially well sui- ted for this variety. On average there is less rainfall and a warmer temperature in the area surrounding Villa Loggio than elsewhere in Tuscany. The Villa Loggio wine cellar's production of wines are:
- Curtun - Grape variety: Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Aging: barriques 18 months bottled 12 months;
- Lucius - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: barriques 18 months;
- Tinia - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: stainless steel and bottle;
- Arruns - Grape variety: Cabernet Sauvignon, Aging: barriques 18 months bottled 12 months;
- Aplu - Grape variety: Pinot Nero, Aging: barriques 18 months bottled 12 months;
- Tanaquil - Grape variety: Chardonnay, Aging: barriques 6 months bottled 6 months.
Wine fine from grapes matured in my company's biodynamic vineyard in the countryside of Cortona. The company's ethics include the total absence of corrective measures, crushing in the old fashioned way, with your feet, rendering this wine a true reflection of my grapes in this vintage yeah is the suitable terroir for bedding out clones and the selections of Syrah, personally chosen with care in Valle del Rodano by Stefano himself. This is the suitable terroir for bedding out clones and the selections of Syrah, personally chosen with care in Valle del Rodano by Stefano himself. All this is done to succeed in bringing the healthy bunches to maturation and to consent a vinification totally free of corrective and chemical products. Fermentation is automatic, without selected yeasts, sulphur and controlled temperature. Refining is carried out in wood and cement for 14 months and the wine is bottled without filtration or stabilization. The Stefano Amerighi wine cellar's production of wines is:
- Cortona Doc Syrah - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: wood and cement for 14 months.
The estate reached its current size, with some 15 hectares.The vines, on gently rolling slopes, are surrounded by a classically Tuscan landscape of woods. Syrah from Cortona is indeed unanimously considered the best of Italy, and this small area in the south-east of Tuscany (neighbour to Brunello di Montalcino, Nobile di Montepulciano and Chianti, domains of sangiovese) is called the Italian “Cotes du Rhone. At “Il Castagno” we find now the ancient mansion house, some of the vineyards, the fermentation cellar and the barrel cellar. It’s here that beats the heart of the winery, that’s why Fabrizio Dionisio named Il Castagno his signature wine syrah, it was produced for the first
- Il Castagnino Doc - Grape variety: Sirah, Aging: Steel and cement tanks;
- Cuculaia Doc - Grape variety: Sirah, Aging: Allier barrels of French oak for 24 months;
- Il Castagno Doc - Grape variety: Sirah, Aging: Allier barrels of French oak for 18 months.
The name Baldetti is strongly related to Tuscany and in particular to Cortona area and the love for the land, passed on generation, has always been a base point for the family. Since 1960, the viticulture was an important activity for the family, in fact Mario Baldetti, father of the current leader, renovated vineyards. Baldetti Mario “ is farm was the first one to believe in the productivepotential of “Cortona” area, started to bottle in is wine since 1974 with “Bianco Vergine della Valdichiana” . In the whole district of Arezzo it was one of the first company that bottle in , in fact the number of bottling enroll was: AR 6. Since 2000, with the DOC CORTONA birth year, the company renovated vineyards, with methods innovative. In 2010 started the building of a new cellar and it will be ultimate in 2012.
- Crano - Grape variety: Syrah, aging: french oak barrels for 12 months;
- Marius - Grape variety: Sangiovese 90% Merlot 10% aging: the Sangiovese 8 months in concrete tanks and Merlot 8 months in french oak barrels;
- Piet Rosè - Grape variety: Sangiovese, Syrah,Merlot aging: 6 months in stainless steel tanks.
Price per person Tour 1
|160,00 €||130,00 €||
|Price per VAN||2/8 person|
|Price per VAN- Tour 2
(without Lunch and wine tasting)
Included in the price
Price per person starting from 50,00 € €
|09:00||Pick-up at your Hotel|
|10:00||Arrival Braccesca winery guided tour of the cellar and the vineyard|
|11:30||Departure for Cortona, guided visit of the Etruscan Museum MAEC or guided visit of the town|
|13:00||Lunch in Typical Restaurant where traditional dishes are served|
|15:30||Arrival Neri winery guided tour of the cellar and the vineyard|
|17:00||Return to the Hotel|
Tour duration one day - up to 8 hours