Montepulciano Wine Tour Homeland of Vino Nobile
One of the reasons for Montepulciano’s fame is the wine: the Nobile of Montepulciano, famous all over the world, is the first Docg in Italy, receive it in 1980, and represents a symbol of quality and prestige for the entire area. The Vino Nobile is produced with a particular clone Sangiovese Known as Prugnolo Gentile minum 70% may be joined up to 30% by other varieties authorized for the Tuscany Region.Wine with the appallation Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Docg must undergo an ageing periodo of at least two years, starting from January 1st following the harvest. Wine Riserva is subjiected to an ageing period of at least 3 years of which six months must in bottle. The 2014 wines are generally of a high quality, these are fine, elegant wines, promising greatness if they are finished with care, but they will not be of great longevity. These wines can express themselves in a short-medium period.
Our wine tour will lead you with an expert Sommelier around the wineries of Montepulciano, educating you about the important production of the famous “Vino Nobile of Montepulciano " and visit beautiful cellars.
A small, historic family winery producing Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Docg. The winery Boscarelli is one of the most important wineries among those that produce Vino Nobile. Poderi Boscarelli is located in an historic area for production of Vino Nobile Docg. At 300 m above sea level on the east side in northeast Montepulciano facing the Chiana Valley, Cervognano has the right natural air circulation and temperatures to provide an ideal microclimate for quality viticulture. Sangiovese grapes are the most prevalent, covering about 80% of the plots of our estates in the best areas. On the remaining 20%, several native varieties are cultivated, including Mammolo, Canaiolo and Colorino, and international varieties such as Merlot and Cabernet, always according to the climate characteristics and various soils.Today the estate is managed by Paola De Ferrari, and her two sons Luca and Nicolo'. The Boscarelli wine cellar's production of wines are:
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Docg - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile 85%, Colorino, Canaiolo e Mammolo, Aging: oak Allier and of Slavonia to 24 months bottled for some months;
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile 88% and Colorino, Aging: oak of Slavonian 32 months bottled some months;
- Il Nocio Docg - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile, Aging: 24 months bottled one year;
- Sotto Casa Docg - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile 85%, Merlot 10% and Cabernet Sauvignon 5%, Aging: Slavonian oak barrels 32 months bottled for a few months.
La Braccesca estate is surrounded by a splendid territory, first Etruscan and Roman, then medieval and Renaissance. The estate extend over 508 hectares dividing in two nucleos located between the town of Montepulciano and Cortona. Tehe main core extendes over 366 hectares and located between the town of Montepulciano and Cortona. The second core extends over 142 hectares and located in the Montepulciano area between three of the best-Known subzones: Cervognan, Gracciano and Santa Pia. The La Braccesca wine cellar's production of wines is:
- Achelo Doc - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: French oak barrels;
- Bramasole Doc - Grape variety: Syrah, Aging: French oak barrels18 months bottled 14 months;
- Sabazio Doc - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile 85%, Merlot 15% and other red complemtaniaentary varieties, Aging: stainless steel tanks 4 months;
- Vigneto Santa Pia Docg Riserva - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile, Aging: tonneaux 12 months bottled 20 months;
- La Braccesca Docg - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile 90%, Merlot 10%, Aging: oak casks 12 months bottled 12 months.
A Renaissance pearl, a papal city, a center of Etruscan origin, Montepulciano, Pienza, Cortona. This is the historic terrain and culture of wine. Nestled among hills and knolls, inspired by an ancient tradition of winemaking, production of excellence has been cultivated here for over fifty years. This winery with more than 50 years of experience bases its principles on the attention to the environment, and the respect of traditions and history is the foundation for the innovation of the company and the excellence of the product. The Poliziano winery pays particular attention to the decrease in the use of chemical products, preferring a natural oenological approach that respects the original and classical values of the wine. Actually the total suface is 240 hectars, 120 of which are of Doc and Docg vineyard. The heart of wines Poliziano comes primarily from Sangiovese grapes, known locally by its historic name, Prugnolo Gentile. The Poliziano wine cellar's production of wines are:
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Docg - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile 85%, Colorino, Canaiolo e Merlot 15%, Aging: barriques French 16 months;
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Selezione "Asinone" - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile, Aging: barriques of French 18 months;
- Vino Rosso di Montepulciano Doc - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile 80%, Merlot 20%, Aging: American oak 8 months;
- Vin Santo di Montepulciano Doc - Grape variety: Malvasia 90-95%, Grechetto, Aging: small wooden barrels, called “caratelli” 7 years.
Avignonesi, the historical reality of Montepulciano, counts 161 hectares of vineyard. Its biodynamic agricultural techniques allow the exploitation of only natural elements for fertilization, strengthening and curing the vines, without the effect of any chemical products. Intense aromas of fresh, red fruits and forest floor with a touch of sweet spices. On the palate the wine is medium-bodied, round and elegant with silky tannins and a long lasting finish are the characteristics of its wine. Avignonesi is certified organic farm as of spring 2016.The Avignonesi wine cellar's production of wines are:
- Vino Nobile Grandi Annate Docg - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile, Aging: 18 months barriques French and tonneaux;
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Docg - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile, Aging: oak barrels 18 months;
- Rosso di Montepulciano Doc - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile, Aging: wooden barrels 9 months bottled 3 months;
- Desiderio Igt - Grape variety: 85% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon, Aging: barriques 18 months bottled 6 months;
- 50&50 Igt - Grape variety: Merlot 50% Sangiovese 50%, Aging: barriques French 24 months bottled 12 months;
- Occhio di Pernice - Vin Santo di Montepulciano Doc 2001- Grape variety: Sangiovese, Aging: 10 years in keg, bottled 1 year.
Salcheto - Green Winery -
Salco means the willow tree in the ancient Tuscan language, an important plant for wine territories throughout history as its branches were used to bind and tie vines. Salcheto is the name of the stream, which through a valley where willow abounded. The willow tree. a species that we contnue to replant at the winery, also contributes to the winery's energy independence. An "off-grid" cellar (energy independent) and an integrated environmental estate maanagement model which has achieved world premiere in indexing of Carbon and Water Footprint. With the cru "Salco 2089", two vintage were for the first time fused into a single wine, the 2008 and 2009, an enologica concept we keep pursuing (a 2011, 2012 and 2013 blend is alredy refing). Simply to male an extraordinary wine. The Salcheto wine cellar's production of wines are:
- Salco 2089 Igt - Grape variety: Sangiovese, Aging: tonneaux 24 months bottled 36 months;
- Salco Docg - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile, Aging: tonneaux 24 months bottled 48 months;
- Nobile di Montepulciano Docg - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile, Aging: tonneaux 18 months bottled 6 months;
- Obvius Rosso Doc - Grape variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile, Aging: steel bottled 4 months bottled 6 months;
- Rosso Doc - Grape variety: Sangiovese 85%, Canaiolo 8%, Merlot 7%, Aging: steel 4 months bottled 3 months.
Villa S. Anna
The Villa S,Anna winery, is situated on the hills around the town of Montepulciano, renowened for its fine wines. For many years Simona has been committed to upholding the ancient, passionate family tradition of promoting and selling fine quality wines, with the help and encouragement of her daughters Anna and Margherita. This all-women team dedicate passion and skill to improving their wines, and taking scrupulous care of the centuries-old underground cellars where all the wines are aged at natural temperatures. The Villa S.Anna wine cellar's production of wines are:
- Vino Nobile di Montepulciano - Grapes variety: Sangiovese 85%, Merlot, Mammolo, Canaiolo e Colorino 15%, Aging: tonneaux French 2 years bottled 1 years;
- Chianti Colli Senesi - Grape variety: Sangiovese 90%, Merlot 5% e Canaiolo, Mammolo and Colorino 5%, Aging: barrels of Slavonia 1 years bottled 8 months;
- Rosso di Montepulciano - Grape variety: Sangiovese 80%, Merlot 10%, Mammolo, Canaiolo, Colorino e Cabernet Sauvignon 10%, Aging: French barrel 10 months bottled 8 months;
- Poldo - Grapes variety: Sangiovese Prugnolo Gentile 80% and other red grapes 20%, Aging: French barrels 34 months bottled 2 years;
- Vin Santo Villa S.Anna - Grapes Variety: Malvasia 50%, Grechetto 40%, Trebbiano 10%, Aging: small wooden 7 years, called “caratelli” .
|Price per person Tour 1
(Lunch and wine tasting included)
|160,00 €||140,00 €||
|Price per VAN||2/8 person|
|Price per VAN- Tour 2
(without Lunch and wine tasting)
Included in the price
Price per person starting from 50,00 € €
|09:00||Pick-up at your Hotel|
|10:00||Arrival S.Anna winery guided tour of the cellar and the vineyard|
|12:00||Visit to the city of Montepulciano or guided tour of the cellar historic Dei cellar|
|13:00||Lunch in Typical Restaurant where traditional dishes are served|
|15:00||Arrival at the Boscarelli winery guided tour of the cellar and the vineyard|
|17:00||Return to the Hotel|
Tour duration one day - up to 8 hours